Malayalam (from the 'Palindrome' series)
Materials and techniques
The piece combines carpentry and casting techniques:
1. A box mould is constructed from timber.
2. The interior of the mould is cast into.
3. The mould is opened up.
4. The cast has the texture of the wood.
5. The wood pieces are flipped inside out.
6. A reversed impression of the wooden side now exists.
7. The two sides are joined together.
The wood used is European Douglas fir. The casting material is jesmonite, a non-toxic water based alternative casting/ laminating material.
The wood was prepared with a Festool Rustofix machine.